A model of the core module of Media Pedagogy Training Program
Access, Analyze, Asses, Create.
These are going to be operationalised according to the following criteria:
- Specific competences – categories
- Scope: Classes, school – formal education; non-formal education
- Concrete activities and modalities of achieving it
3.1. Dimension of the Media Analysis
- To analyse the media context of the media message;
- To draw up media content interpretative tests and analysis criteria;
- To devise didactic activities in view of a useful and quality education approach.
- Selecting ways and means
Achieving modalities: By identifying media sources, necessary and concordant to individual needs
Institutional setting – classes, homework and Informal setting – entertainment.
- Organising didactic content
Achieving modalities: By using active learning methods based on critical thinking; By using media resources as didactic-material resources.
Institutional setting : Classes; applicative activities; Non-formal setting: Media circles, laboratories.
- Promoting sensible media consumption
Achieving modalities: By monitoring and evaluating age-specific media programmes; By positive usage of programmes with educational content; By analysing the dysfunctions noticed between media content and media message.
Institutional setting : Classes; applicative activities, workshops; Institutional partnerships between schools and media institutions.
3.2. Dimension of the Media Accessing
- To identify optimal and legitimate information sources depending on personal and professional needs;
- To decode and interpret perturbing, pathological message contents;
- To use communication and information means in a diversified way.
- Supporting/guiding information search and selection
Achieving modalities: By tutoring in view of identifying the proper media sources in concordance with personal needs (time, information volume, degree of difficulty, etc.); By establishing the optimal necessary information as a ratio between requirements and quantity at hand; By accessing various sources for documentation; By applying media information and technologies, creatively in an original way in solving the task.
Institutional setting : Work environment; The relationship with media; Class of students; Family environment.
- Ensuring information exchange and access to various media
Achieving modalities: By technical means and by developing the material resources according to the personal training needs and requirements (educational software); By ensuring optimal communication channels.
Formal and non-formal setting
- Coordinating media communication process
Achieving modalities: By ensuring an efficient feed-back following media information selection activities; By developing efficiently and rapidly syntheses, analyses on information exchanges (by discussions, debates, role games, etc.); By encouraging information sources legitimacy identification and extracting useful and adequate information.
Instructional educational process
3.3. Dimension of the Media Assessing
- To establish evaluation objectives and criteria in view of observing efficient and authentic information and communication principles;
- To use evaluation techniques and tools, specific to the educational process in the context of communication and mass media education;
- To evaluate the educational approach in view of identifying the media and technological informational requisite.
- Monitoring/evaluating the instructional educational process
Achieving modalities: By assessing evaluation methods and criteria in view of integrating media in the instructional educational process; By monitoring curricular and extracurricular activities; By publicizing examples of good practices.
Instructional educational process
- Assessing training needs
Achieving modalities: By identifying dysfunctions and the respective causes when using information and communication techniques, of media content as well; By implementing correction actions; By monitoring the impact of training; By correlating the identified training needs with training programmes.
Institutional setting : Non-formal setting: Media workshops, laboratories.
- Assessing general media evaluation models
Achieving modalities: By encouraging and developing critical spirit; By achieving common projects: school-family-community.
Instructional educational process, Informal setting
3.4. Dimension of the Media Production/ Creation
- To use the new and the traditional media creatively and ingeniously in the instructional educational process;
- To conceive NICT- and media-oriented didactic materials and strategies;
- Exercising action schemes to acquire/polish practical skills;
- Integrating NICT and media
Achieving modalities: By using media in different domains and curricular areas (digital or analogue); By encouraging sensible media consumption concordant with the needs of information, entertainment, communication, etc.
Instructional educational process, Informal education.
- Original conception
Achieving modalities: By conceiving and using media material as teaching props and auxiliary didactic materials; By identifying media elaboration mechanisms, media conceiving modalities.
Instructional educational process, Non-formal setting: Media circles, laboratories.
- Encouraging critical spirit
Achieving modalities: By expressing authentic emotions and values in conceiving, creating personal media materials (web page, blog, magazine, film, etc.); By activities of educating critical spirit and positive use of original media materials.
Non-formal setting: Media workshops, laboratories, Instructional educational process, Informal education.